Just wanted to let people know that we are alive and well! This is my first time blogging so bear with me. Spending the day in Miraflores taught Jenny and I some valuable lessons that we will carry with us for the remainder of this trip (and life)! First, road safety is vital. I did not realize the potential danger of traffic in a foreign country. People were whipping their tiny little vans/ambulances/cars around sharp corners, through busy intersections and crosswalks. Jenny and I eventually developed a system that helped ensure a safe passage through the streets. Ready? GO!
We started the day off hungry, and were pleased to find that our hostel provided tasty orange juice, bread, coffee and eggs. We were able to get some great directions and tips from our hostel attendant man, who was so sweet and eager to help us. I even felt comfortable to practice broken Spanish-English with him. He was a good sport. We walked through the beautiful sunshine to a section of ruins right in the middle of the area. It was so strange to see such an old thing among a modern city. We walked through this beautiful park which reminded me of the waterfront in Burlington almost. Jenny and I were really impressed with how well the parks and coast lines where kept up- I guess Lima is known to be almost desert-like with it´s rocky coast line and beaches. One of my goals is to see a white Jesus statue up close, and we got to see one from afar today. The hostel man said it would be a twenty minute taxi drive, but there is another one in Cusco that is easier to get to. While gazing at the statue from a gorgeous lookout point we were approached by a pushy salesman. He eventually swindled me into buying this cute little set of earrings and necklace. Jenny later told me that I was ripped off, and I was pissed! I thought I was getting some sort of a bargain from the way he was talking! But it´s a good lesson. Ha. It won´t happen again. His name was Tupac, which was very interesting to Jenny and I.
We basically walked around all day taking in the scenery and snapping great photos. I can´t wait to share them. It´s so surreal to actually be here.
Another important thing I´d like to share are the persistent catcalls. If you ever feel down about life or your self-esteem I suggest walking through the streets of Lima Peru on a nice day. We estimated there to be at least 80 catcalls/whistles. It was never scary or intimidating, they kept their distance and we mostly just laughed it off. I actually felt pretty safe and never scared about being robbed or harassed. The only sketchy time was when we were invited to a party by a couple surfer boys by the beach where we explained we couldn´t make it due to a plane ride tomorrow am. They were fine with it, but when we walked back, one of the guys practically held/manhandled Jenny´s hand-wrist inviting himself to dinner. It was very annoying for Jenny but I´m pretty sure she wasn´t afraid of this little Peruvian surfer dude. We laughed after we walked away.
The walk back to our hostel was a little sketchy as well, for it was starting to get dark and the map was slightly confusing to read. We stuck together close and acted as confident as we possibly could. We avoided looking completely lost to the best of our ability. I was a little nervous after Jenny´s response to my report of feeling confident. She swiftly replied ¨We could be jumped and stabbed at any moment¨ It was funny after we finally realized we were doing circles around our hostel.
But anyways, we made it back tired, safe, and happy with our experience today. We are so excited to fly into Cusco tomorrow morning bright and early. Hope to write again soon.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGlad everything is going well! And Abbey, this is the first blog I have ever followed so I'm glad it is one of my friends, lol. Sounds like you guys are having fun and learning new things, like how not to get ripped off. Also, maybe having mace on you guys wouldn't be such a bad idea? haha. Looking forward to hearing more!
ReplyDeleteAbbey are you trying to scare everyone? Its only the 2nd day and your already finding sketchy guys. This doesn't bode well for my predictions. Be careful, you attract the real sketchy guys (Please refer to Senior Frogs! Haha.) Have fun!!!!
ReplyDeleteI will second Pion's post,I witnessed Senior Frongs... have fun and be safe!
ReplyDeleteHa! You made me feel like I was 21 in Europe again, Abbey! Catcalls are usually harmless, but when any guy gets close, the universal way to deal with that is go in the other direction, don't engage in conversation, and totally ignore them. It works!Stay where there are lots of people, NEVER go off with any guy(s)even if they seem nice, and get home before dusk. Sonny specifically said to avoid the party scene down there. Stick to the tourism agenda - you can party up here with people you know and trust! Oh, and dad says feel free to scream anytime too!
ReplyDeleteExcited to hear about Cuzco! Hopefully you've connected with Laura and Erika by now and making plans for your hike! Thanks for all the details, Abbey! Looking forward to the next update!
Here in VT Annalise had a 3 run triple and a 2 run single in the Winooski game! They won 16-1. Do your bit for Green-Up tomorrow!
Don't eat street food. It might look very tasty but your body is not equipped to handle certain kinds of bacteria that they are used to. Even if it looks safe. I made the mistake once.
ReplyDelete