It turns out we still aren't exactly sure where we will be traveling. We will arrive in Lima, Peru at 9pm Wednesday. On Friday we fly to Cusco, a city fifty miles or so from Machu Picchu. From what we hear this may be a stomach in your throat sort of ride...picture a small, rickety plane, fog, and a quick descent from the mountains into a valley for the landing. It was this or a twenty hour long bus ride traversing along cliff sides and mountain passes. When we land we will step onto soil greater than 11,000 feet above sea level. This means we may have the joy of experiencing altitude sickness. We will hang out in Cusco for a few days to acclimate before hopefully setting off on a multiday hike to Machu Picchu. We are hoping to join a guided trip along the Salkantay trail. This hike reaches an elevation above 16,000 feet and runs close to Salkanty Mountain, which is slightly larger than Mt. McKinley. After reaching our destination of Machu Picchu, the plan is to take buses and see some other parts of the country. Here's to hoping winging it doesn't become a royal mistake. While it feels a little unsettling to know we only have accommodations booked for the first five nights (out of twenty), it also feels quite exciting! This way we can see what others down there recommend and just go with it!
Did I mention I don't know Spanish....after taking a few lessons I think one of the few things I can ask is "where is the bathroom?" And probably the only response I will understand is if somebody physically points to it! Abbey took some Spanish in high school and has been practicing with Rosetta Stone. Hoping that between her and my pocket size Spanish phrase book we can get by. I was checking out at Outdoor Gear Exchange the other day and the girl behind the counter said "Peru, oh yea, my friend almost got kidnapped there. Luckily she knew enough Spanish to know that the cab driver wasn't bringing her to the destination she requested." Comforting. Don't worry Mom, I'm not planning on taking any cabs.
Well, its off to finish packing, gotta make sure I can fit everything in my 60 liter backpack and actually carry it! Vamos!
So awesome and I'm so jealous! Have fun and be safe- can't wait to see pictures!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you guys are keeping a blog. Sounds adventurous and fun!
ReplyDeleteHola Chicas!
ReplyDeleteBuena suerte! Muchas gracias for steering clear of questionable cab drivers and keep your wits about you! That motherly advice said, I hope you find a multitude of sincere, generous, and inspiring people along your travels. Enjoy the sights, the sounds and language, the tastes, the traditions of Peru and her rich history and beautiful scenery. Looking forward to your photos and blog entries! Take care, do good work, and keep in touch!
Con mucho amor, Mamasita Annette
HAVE LOTS OF FUN!! XOXOXOXO See you in JULY!! XOXO
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you guys! I can't wait to read your blog and see the pictures. Have fun and be safe!
ReplyDeleteHave fun girls and be safe!! Can't wait to see all your amazing pictures!! Love ya <3
ReplyDeleteAwesome!!!! Have a great time you two! Post as many photos and videos as you can. :)
ReplyDeleteMiss you already! I can't wait to hear about EVERYTHING!
ReplyDelete